Volunteer Coordinator - Victoria Symphony Splash
The Volunteer Coordinator (VC) is responsible for the overall management of the volunteer program including recruiting, screening, managing and training of volunteer staff. The VC directly manages volunteers and provides guidance, support, resources and tools to those who supervise volunteers. The VC administers and reviews policies and procedures which guide the volunteer program. The VC works both in an office environment and in nonstandard workplaces; the VC's schedule will be as needed, including some evenings and weekends. The VC reports to the Development Coordinator and the Splash Event Producers.
Candidates must have:
- Excellent communication skills and comfort with public speaking in front of large groups
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong computer skills, ideally in Excel and Access and Word
- Ability to successfully manage multiple tasks
- Ability to delegate tasks to others
- Must be self-motivated, pro-active, strategic, collaborative and have good follow-through skills
- Supervisory and/or leadership experience
- Some post-secondary education
Outline of Main Responsibilities
- Use a variety of recruiting methods such as networking, advertising, social media, local media, and community meetings to recruit approximately 350 volunteers for Symphony Splash
- Review volunteer position descriptions in consultation with staff as appropriate
- Review and implement effective strategies to recruit effective volunteers with appropriate skills
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the volunteer program and the Symphony
- Contact previous volunteers
- Use Microsoft Access to record and track all volunteer information including their duties and hours
- Recruit dedicated team leaders for all volunteer areas
- Screen volunteers, including interviewing candidates, conducting background checks and verifying references
- Develop and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualifications and interests of the volunteers and the needs of Splash
- Create schedules as required, with input and direction from the Event Producers
- Schedule volunteers into allotted time slots
- Use Microsoft Excel to organize and track volunteer time slots
- Work with Event Manager and Event Coordinator to ensure adequate volunteer coverage and appropriate placement of volunteers
- Responsible for coordinating volunteer orientations and training sessions prior to the event to increase understanding of Symphony Splash, and the roles and responsibilities of volunteers
- Ensure adequate training is provided for volunteers
- Explain rules and regulations
- Be the primary contact for volunteers from March-August
- Ensure that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision
- Act as a supervisor for all volunteers
- Serve as a liaison between volunteers and other leaders
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Be primary on-site contact for assigned team leaders and ensure that the volunteers are getting the support and help they need
- Organize a volunteer appreciation party
- Ensure that volunteer appreciation gifts are prepared prior to event
- Ensure that volunteers are acknowledged
- Create reports for the Event Manager and the Development Coordinator as required including regular status updates and a final event report
- Administer and monitor expenditures for the volunteer program against the approved budget
- Prior to event, work with the Event Manager and Development Coordinator to ensure that all areas are equipped with prepared supply boxes
- Prior to event, work with the Event Manager and Development Coordinator to ensure there is adequate site signage
Other duties as assigned by the Development Coordinator
The Volunteer Coordinator should demonstrate competence in most or all of the following:
- Behave ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices, and ensure that their own behaviour and the behaviour of others are consistent with these standards and align with the values of the Symphony and Splash.
- Build relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the Symphony and Splash.
- Communicate effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Creativity/innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the volunteer program organization and to create new opportunities for recruitment.
- Foster teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Volunteer Coordinator is a spring/summer position that will start part time and lead into full time in the summer. The pay rate is $14.50 an hour and will be for approximately 500 hours. Please send resumes to Karen@victoriasymphony.ca