SUMMER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
(Up to eight positions)
April 30, 2012 to September 3, 2012
The Legislative Assembly Student Employment Program provides an opportunity for students to gain work experience and learn more about British Columbia's history and legislative process.
Tour Guides are required to deliver 30 - 45 minute tours in English and at least one additional language. Applicants must be able to converse clearly in both languages and adapt their tours to meet the needs of our many different visitors (such as school and ESL groups).
In addition to delivering tours, guides are required to spend a significant amount of time outside welcoming visitors to the Parliament Buildings.
Qualifications: Applicants must:
- Be enrolled as an undergraduate student in an accredited post-secondary institution during the Fall 2011 and/or Spring 2012 semesters;
- Have experience in public speaking before large audiences;
- Have excellent verbal communication skills;
- Be able to speak English and one or more of the following languages: French, Japanese, German, Spanish, Mandarin, Punjabi, or Korean; and
- Be able to communicate effectively with visitors from around the world.
Hours of work: Tour Guides work an average of 30 hours per week and must be able to work shifts between the hours of 8:30 am and 6:00 pm, 7 days of the week, including statutory holidays.
Salary: $18.42 per hour
Competition No. LA1115
Interested applicants should obtain an application form and job description prior to applying. Please submit a completed application form, cover letter, resume, and proof of registration at a post-secondary institution by February 10, 2012, to:
Human Resources Office
Legislative Assembly of British Columbia
614 Government Street, Victoria, BC V8V 1X4