Strategic Partnerships and Client Relations
Victoria, British Columbia
Join the team that is driving the growth of British Columbia’s green economy and paving the way for a carbon market in the province. We are actively seeking a new Managing Director to join our team and help us build the market for carbon offsets and emissions trading in the province, as well as help position BC to play an active role in the emerging global carbon markets.
Pacific Carbon Trust (PCT) is a BC Crown corporation that delivers high-quality carbon offsets to help clients meet their carbon reduction goals and to help grow a low-carbon economy in BC. Operating out of Victoria, Pacific Carbon Trust is responsible for purchasing offsets from BC-based GHG reduction projects that are in compliance with the BC Emission Offsets Regulation, ensuring world-class offsets built on recognized international standards.
PCT has successfully met its client’s carbon neutral requirements for each of the past four years and has since built a world class portfolio totalling over 1.5 million tonnes of carbon offsets. In meeting the BC government offset needs, PCT helped establish British Columbia as the first major jurisdiction in North America to be carbon neutral.
Pacific Carbon Trust's portfolio of carbon offsets spans across three projects types focused on energy efficiency, fuel switching, and carbon sequestration. In the years ahead, PCT will continue to purchase up to 800,000 tonnes of carbon offset projects annually across all major business sectors in British Columbia, including forestry, oil and gas, power, mining, agriculture, waste, transportation, and clean technology. PCT is providing BC businesses with new economic opportunities. The carbon price attached to selling offsets has helped make clean technology projects in BC a reality, resulting in economic and social benefits, in addition to the environmental benefits of carbon reduction.
PCT is a values-based organization focused on three core values of entrepreneurial, sustainable and credible. Employees are expected to exemplify these values within a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment.
The Managing Director, Strategic Partnerships and Client Relations will serve as a member of the company’s senior leadership team as one of three Managing Directors reporting directly to the CEO. The position will oversee the day-to-day operations of one division within the company with primary responsibilities to:
- manage and coordinate collaborative relationships with:
- the Shareholder and other key government partners to ensure PCT is aligned with and in support of government priorities;
- public and private offset clients to ensure they have input into the portfolio;
- industry partners to ensure the company is responsive to their needs as offset suppliers;
- non-governmental organizations with an interest in climate change and carbon markets;
- liaise with senior levels of government with regards to legislation, regulations and policies related to carbon and climate change;
- participate as an active member of the leadership team and contribute to the strategic direction of the company;
- ensure the overall corporate strategic plan and activities aligns with government priorities and adjust these priorities in response to emerging policy directions;
- lead the corporate communications, media relations and marketing functions and ensure they are supported by the Shareholder; and,
- participate in all Board meetings and provide briefings as required.
Ideal candidates for the role will have:
- an undergraduate or masters level degree in a relevant field (Business, Public Administration, Public Relations, Marketing/Communications);
- demonstrated track record of progressive leadership experience in a complex government, crown corporation or private sector environment with a minimum of five years of experience;
- led the development of communications plans and working in media relations considered an asset;
- experience developing and implementing government policy and regulations; and,
- led multi-stakeholder partner groups in the public and/or private sector
This position is based at Pacific Carbon Trust’s Victoria office and occasional travel to Vancouver and other regions of BC will be required.
Pacific Carbon Trust as a Crown corporation is able to offer an attractive salary and benefit package commensurate with an applicant’s experience.
An eligibility list of qualified candidates may be established for future positions.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter, indicating salary expectations and willingness to work in Victoria, BC, by email to: email@example.com. Please quote “PCT2012:003” in the subject line.
Closing Date: August 20, 2012