Job Title: Bookkeeper/Reception
Reports to: Executive Director
Nature and Scope:
This position requires excellent communication and organizational skills. It requires the ability to deal with immediate requests at the reception desk, as well as achieving the regular duties of the position and therefore the receptionist must be able to instantly prioritize tasks, in a friendly, calm manner. The position requires understanding of the need to protect the privacy and security of the Residents, and demands discretion and judgment while handling the confidential information collected and filed in the Administration area. The position requires knowledge of standard book keeping and excellent money management skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reception is specifically accountable for:
- Greet public, respond to inquiries
- Provide information and tours for prospective Residents and the general public
- Answer telephone, record and direct messages appropriately.
- Prepare and maintain all administrative records associated with Residents.
- Prepare and maintain all administrative records associated with employees.
- Welcome new Residents and assist in providing Resident Orientation.
- Sort and distribute mail to Residents.
- Respond to Resident inquiries, concerns and questions
- Respond to and record all incidents and emergencies; summon and intercept first responders and or paramedics as appropriate; Functions as Fire Warden.
- Manage, dispense and reconcile petty cash..
- Reconcile staff and guest meal tickets.
- Manage accounts receivable: prepare invoices, follow up on inquiries, issues, concerns, and outstanding balances.
- Manage accounts payable: prepare documentation and cheques, follow up on inquiries, issues, and concerns regarding accounts payable.
- Prepare bank deposits and reconcile bank records.
- Prepare financial reports as required; prepare standard month end and year end reporting.
- Prepare and maintain all administrative records associated with finance.
- Compile payroll summaries.
- Manage ancillary income.
Other areas of responsibility may include but are not limited to the following:
- Will communicate with the Residents and families in an open, respectful and proactive manner.
- Responds to Resident’s concerns in a timely manner.
- Work with Executive Director on a day to day basis.
- Determines that work schedules are covered at all times, including vacation and illness coverage.
- Ensures that staff operates as a team.
- Delivers clear and concise instructions and communications to all colleagues and encourages feedback.
- Ensure staff have all required training in accordance with regulatory agencies
- Leads by example.
- Communicates to ensure clear understanding of specific desired results.
- Is clear and consistent about what is expected from people and provides immediate feedback, both positive and negative, to staff regarding specific actions and behaviours.
- Communicates goals and objectives, policies and procedures, prices and any relevant information to staff
- Resolves issues/situations to ensure that they are handled appropriately and correctly within policy and procedure guidelines.
- Maintain the administrative supply inventory system.
- Monitors the supply usage to control costs and prevent waste and adheres to the budget allocated.
- Key external contacts include Residents, vendors (purchasing and on product detail and delivery issues), facilities and equipment maintenance personnel, and peers in the surrounding business community (to build positive working relationships).
- Responsible for fostering positive relationships with other industry professionals.
Safety and Site Appearance :
- Responsible for watching the safety of Residents, employees, property and business assets. An emphasis on preventative measures is essential to Resident relations and employee harmony.
- Ensures the cleanliness and appearance of the Residence at all times and determines that the Residence is a safe, hazard-free environment. Must determine that the staff understands that safety is everyone’s responsibility and that hazards must be reported immediately. Sanitation and cleanliness must be stressed and required of all staff.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths & weaknesses. Pursues training & development opportunities.
Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively. Responds well to questions. Gets clarification.
Written Communication – Writes clearly. Edits work for spelling and grammar.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities. Remains objective and open to views of others. Encourages a positive team spirit & puts success of team above individual interests. Able to build morale and group commitments to achieve goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Professionalism & Ethics – Treats people with respect. Keeps commitments; Inspires trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically. Upholds values of the Company. Works well under pressure.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; supports company goals and values.
Planning and Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
People Management – Includes staff planning, decision-making. Provides regular performance feedback; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality in people and the school. Communicates changes effectively.
Cost Consciousness - Works within an approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue.
- Minimum 2 years experience with reception and clerical duties
- Criminal Record clearance
- Ability to communicate effectively in English; verbally and in writing;
- Ability to communicate and relate effectively and respectfully with older adults.
- Ability to respond calmly and efficiently under pressure;
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to work as part of a Team
- Ability to establish priorities and organize time effectively
- Physically able to carry out the duties outlined in the job routines
Education and Training:
- Grade 12 graduation; or an equivalent combination of education, training, & experience
- Level 1 First Aid Certificate
- Courses in Microsoft Office Applications
- Simply Accounting
- Bookkeeping Courses
Position is available immediately. $17.50 per hour, benefits after 6 months. Hours are Sunday to Thursday 3:30- 11:30 pm. Must be able to work independently, have a lot of interruptions from the residents and have a wonderful sense of humour.
Please call if you have any questions about the position. We are located near the heart of downtown Langford and are near a major bus stop.
Thank you for your interest.
Shelly Pendlebury /Executive Director
Alexander Mackie Retirement Community
753 Station AvenueVictoria, BC/ V9B 2S1
250-478-4888 ph/ 250-478-4826 fx