Associate – Business Development
Victoria, British Columbia
Join the team that is driving the growth of British Columbia’s green economy and paving the way for a carbon market in the province. We are actively seeking a new Associate to join our team and help us build the market for carbon offsets and emissions trading in the province, as well as help position BC to play an active role in the emerging global carbon markets.
Pacific Carbon Trust (PCT) is a BC Crown corporation that delivers high-quality carbon offsets to help clients meet their carbon reduction goals and to help grow a low-carbon economy in BC. Pacific Carbon Trust is responsible for purchasing offsets from BC-based GHG reduction projects, ensuring world-class offsets built on an internationally recognized standard.
PCT has successfully met its clients’ carbon neutral requirements for each of the past four years and has built a world class portfolio of over 1.5 million tonnes of carbon offsets. In meeting the BC government offset needs, PCT was instrumental in making British Columbia the first major jurisdiction in North America to be carbon neutral.
Pacific Carbon Trust's portfolio of carbon offsets spans the entire province and all major industry sectors. It is providing BC businesses with new economic opportunities. The carbon price attached to selling offsets has helped make clean technology projects in BC a reality, resulting in economic and social benefits, in addition to the environmental benefits of carbon reduction.
PCT is a values-based organization focused on three core values: entrepreneurial, sustainable and credible. Employees are expected to exemplify these values within a fast-paced, ever-changing work environment.
We are actively seeking a new Associate with management experience to join our team and help us build the market for carbon offsets and emissions trading in the province of BC, as we help transition the province to excel in a carbon constrained world.
The Associate will work directly with the Managing Directors to build Pacific Carbon Trust's portfolio of carbon offset projects across the province. The Associate will establish strong relationships with senior management in many of British Columbia’s largest companies, as well as with project developers. They will engage closely with senior government officials related to major policies impacting the carbon market in BC and beyond. This is a position with significant team leadership and collaboration responsibilities.
- Develop and manage your portfolio of offset projects
- Lead and participate in a wide range of workgroups and teams
- Lead buy and sell side business development processes from opportunity evaluation to implementation and ongoing relationship development, demonstrating analytical and relationship management skills
- Build strong relationships at the senior level with a wide range of carbon market stakeholders, including companies, project developers and government
- Develop and evaluate new project concepts
- Assist on other activities and projects as needed.
Preference will be given to candidates with a minimum of five years related experience and progressive growth in skills and responsibilities in the following areas:
- Undergraduate and /or Masters level degree in a relevant field, such as Business, Engineering, Energy Management, Economics, and Public Administration
- A demonstrated track record of progressive leadership and entrepreneurial creativity in both personal and professional endeavours
- Proven business development success that includes strong supplier or client relationships in business to business markets.
- Leadership of the full business development process, from opportunity evaluation to implementation and ongoing relationship development, demonstrating analytical and relationship management skills.
- Experience related to energy management or emission reductions in industrial facilities is advantageous
- Negotiating and closing complex transactions
- Finance experience, especially in project finance or portfolio management, is a benefit
- Ability to make timely decisions based on incomplete information in a fluid environment
- A passion for driving emission reductions in BC
This position is based at Pacific Carbon Trust’s Victoria office and travel to Vancouver and other regions of BC will be required.
Pacific Carbon Trust as a Crown corporation is able to offer an attractive salary and benefit package commensurate with an applicant’s experience.
Candidates must meet legal requirements to work in Canada. Relocation assistance may be available upon appointment. In addition to hiring for this position, an eligibility list of qualified candidates may be established for future positions.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter, indicating salary expectations and willingness to work in Victoria, BC, by email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote “PCT2012:005” in the subject line.
Closing Date: August 17, 2012