Dear Nature Centre Friends and Supporters,
Are you, or do you know someone with a background in biology, geography or natural restoration work who has both strong interpersonal and organizational skills, experience working with volunteers and genuinely enjoys meeting new people and working collaboratively in the community? We are looking for someone who can start Sept 5th. A key part of the work involves an exciting new project on climate adaptation focused on giving our community practical solutions, including shoreline and eelgrass bed restoration, for living by the sea in a changing climate. Please share this job posting widely. The application deadline is August 29th.
Seeking a Nature Centre Volunteer & Project Coordinator / Administrator
35 hrs/week for 10 months
$18 - 20/hr plus benefits plan
Sept 5, 2017 – June 30, 2018*
The Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre (CENC), a project of the Cowichan Land Trust, is seeking a full-time Administrator and Volunteer Coordinator for the Nature Centre. This person will play a key role in the coordination and administration of the CENC’s Adapting to Climate Change: Community Workshops and Estuary Restoration Project, working with and under the direction of the Cowichan Land Trust’s Executive Director. This ten month project involves organizing and coordinating climate adaptation workshops, school programs and volunteer action days, including shoreline and eelgrass restoration and other activities to raise awareness, increase our community’s ability to respond to local climate impacts, and help recover the resiliency of our natural ecosystems.
This position is for 35 hours a week from September 5, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
*There is the possibility of an extension or a move to part-time hours after June 30th contingent on funding.
This position is partially funded by Environment and Climate Change Canada’s Eco-Action Community Funding Program.
Responsibilities will include:
- Doing community outreach, education and awareness-raising about both the project and the Nature Centre
- Creating informational materials, posters and displays for the project and the Centre
- Recruiting, coordinating and supporting volunteers
- Promoting community workshops, school programs and volunteer action days, including partner and sponsor recognition
- Organizing and helping to deliver 4 community climate adaptation workshops
- Organizing and helping to deliver 4 climate adaptation volunteer action days / work parties (e.g. eelgrass restoration, shoreline protection, xeriscaping, rain gardens)
- Supporting external workshop instructors and action day leaders as needed
- Coordinating efforts with other organizations
- Purchasing and maintaining supplies and equipment
- Assisting the CENC Education Coordinator with school program bookings, offerings and billing if needed
- Managing the CENC cash system, orient volunteers to processing donations, memberships, gift shop sales and tracking procedures, and assisting with records and bank deposits
- Assisting with data collection, data entry and reporting
- Responding to phone calls, emails and general inquires and being an ambassador for the project and the Centre.
A successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills, experience working with volunteers and genuinely enjoy meeting new people and working collaboratively in the community. You must have solid organizational skills, be inclusive, proactive, and flexible, and practice patience and common sense.
Confidence on the phone and on the computer is a must. This role will include navigating Microsoft word and excel, social media, our website, and learning and using our data management and reporting systems. This is also a great job for someone who loves to spend time working on projects outdoors in nature and in all weather.
Variable hours will be required depending on timing of workshops and volunteer action days and volunteer availability – so some evenings and weekends.
A background in biology, geography or natural resource management is an asset, as is having your own transportation.
To apply: Please send your letter of interest and resume to Jane Kilthei, Chair, Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre Operations Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 29th.
Deadline for applications: August 29th at 4pm
Interviews may take place as applications are received or on August 30th – 31st.
Thank you for your interest.
This is a fun job for a good cause!
Please share this job opportunity widely, especially with anyone you know who you think would be a good fit for this position. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Volunteer Chair, Operations Committee
Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre