This competition is open to all students enrolled in a degree program who plan to launch an entrepreneurial venture within the next seven months (1 month to select the recipient + six month venture-launch period after the award offer).
This scholarship evolved to more effectively encourage/support entrepreneurial activity and has expanded to include all entrepreneurs amongst our degree program student population. In the last competition, we had a wonderful response from students in all of our schools.
Call for Applications: Eric C. Douglass Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies Scholarship
Upcoming deadline: February 1, 2016 (midnight)
Eric Douglass was a self-made entrepreneur. He became a truck driver and in a short period of time built a successful company that carried out road construction in Alberta and seismic work in the North-West Territories. This scholarship has been designed to honour Eric Douglass' legacy by rewarding students who excel in entrepreneurial education at RRU and be in a position to launch a venture within six months of funding approval.
One or more awards typically valued around $10,000 will be available twice a year. Qualified applicants will meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled as a student in a degree granting program at Royal Roads University.
- Be in good financial standing with the university at the application deadline.
- Plans to launch a venture within six months of the results announcement.
- Has ability/promise as an entrepreneur that will aid in the success of the venture as judged by the scholarship selection panel.
- Preference will be given to a venture that includes a strong social entrepreneurship component.
To apply for the scholarship, submit a two-page Executive Summary that describes your venture and your credentials as an entrepreneur via email to RRU Financial Aid & Awards by the application deadline.
Selection of the final candidate(s) will be conducted through a two-step process:
First, the written submissions will be evaluated by a four-person panel that includes the Dean of the Faculty of Management (or designate), the Director of the Eric C. Douglass Centre, one School of Business faculty member, and one student (will be the Entrepreneur in Residence if the position is currently filled).
Second, a subset of applicants will be invited to make a live or tele presentation to the panel. In either phase of adjudication, the Director of the School of Business will be called upon to break a tie.
Funding will be released to the recipients of this scholarship in staged payments when the interview panel and the Director of Finance agree that the recipient has satisfactorily completed these milestones:
- $1,000 upon graduation from Royal Roads University
- $5,000 upon submission of a traditional business plan of approx 20 pages in length within six months of receiving the award
- $3,000 upon demonstration of a credible commitment to the venture (e.g. incorporation) within six months of receiving the award
- $1,000 upon submission of a reflective progress report (ideally as a live presentation) within twelve months of receiving the award
Application Deadlines: February 1st and July 1st each year.
Please contact me with any questions.
Gwen Campden MAPC, Manager, Financial Aid & Awards
Student Services | Royal Roads University
T 250.391.2502 | F 250.391.2670 | firstname.lastname@example.org
2005 Sooke Road, Victoria, BC Canada V9B 5Y2 | royalroads.ca