The International Youth Internship Program (IYIP) is a program for Canadian graduates (ages 19 to 30 inclusive), part of the Career Focus stream of the Government of Canada's Youth Employment Strategy (YES). Canada's YES provides Canadian youth with tools and experience they need to launch successful careers.
The objectives of the International Youth Internship Program are to:
- Provide eligible youth with international experience, skills and knowledge that will prepare them for future employment
- Increase employment opportunities by promoting awareness among Canadian organizations of the advantages of integrating young Canadian professionals into their structures and programs
- Provide opportunities for Canadians to increase their awareness, deepen their understanding and engage in international development
- Contribute to the advancement of CIDA's mandate to reduce poverty, promote human rights and increase sustainable development and to meet CIDA's priorities for official development assistance.
CIDA funds selected Canadian partner organizations (CPOs) to deliver IYIP projects in accordance with agreed administrative and financial procedures. Funding is provided for a variety of costs related to the internship, including travel, living allowance, and administrative costs. CIDA allocates up to $12,000 per internship to selected Canadian partner organizations.
Selected Canadian partners work with overseas partner organizations to design, deliver and monitor internships supporting local development projects that reflect CIDA's Key Development Challenges. Interns are recruited by the CPOs to carry out the development-related activities identified in a work plan established by all parties. When interns return to Canada, they take part in outreach activities organized by the CPOs to share their experience and insights on development issues.
Internships for 2013
To be eligible for the International Youth Internship Program, an intern must be:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- A post-secondary graduate—graduate of a degree or diploma program from a university, college, post-secondary school of technology, post-secondary institute or a CEGEP (collège d'enseignement général et professionnel)
- Out of school
- Between the ages of 19 and 30
- Unemployed or underemployed
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
For more information, see the CIDA FAQs for interns. The applicant MUST meet all eligibility criteria at the time of signing their contract with their Canadian partner organization.
Foundation for International Training (FIT) is proud to post following internship positions:
- Tanzania - Documentation Assistant
- Jamaica - Communications Assistant - Child Protection
- Jamaica - Communications Assistant - Health Promotion
- Ethiopia - Project Assistant: Gender Issues in Education
- China – Project Assistant
For detail follow the separate links
FIT will cover the following intern expenses:
- Monthly stipend (subject to Income Taxes)
- Medical Insurance
- Visa expenses
- Return Airfare
- Briefing and Debriefing costs
A separate application should be submitted for each position you are applying for. All documents submitted should be labelled country.position.applicants first name.last name - component (application, cover letter or resume). Each application should consist of three components:
1. A complete application form. The application form can be found below.
2. A cover letter (one page maximum) which should outline:
- Which position you are applying for
- Why you are interested in the position
- Your experience as it relates to the duties and qualifications defined in the job description
3. Resume (two pages maximum) which should outline:
- How your education, work experience and/or life experience relate to the duties defined in the job description and to the qualifications listed for the position.
Incomplete applications may not be reviewed.
DEADLINE March 31st, 2013
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Download the IYIP application form (will be posted soon)
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com with the position applying for as the subject line.