Applicants must meet all of these qualifications. Applicants not meeting one or more of these qualifications will not be considered:
1. Blind, deaf-blind or partially sighted. Please note: Whatever an applicant's vision level, he/she must meet the requirements for legal blindness, which is visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye after correction, or a visual field of less than 20 degrees.
2. Canadian citizen or landed immigrant, but foreign students studying in Canada will also be considered.
3. Attending a post-secondary program (college, university, or vocational) within the period of September 2011 to April 2011, with a full-time course load or at a 40% course load when accompanied by an explanation. Students at undergraduate, graduate (including doctoral levels as well as those in training programs), educational upgrading, and enrolled in the performing arts are encouraged to apply.
4. Exchange students studying abroad under a legitimate exchange program and paying fees to a Canadian educational institution are eligible, as are students who choose to study abroad for lack of a similar program in Canada, failure to be accepted into a Canadian program, or the clear superiority of a program abroad.
For applications to be considered complete all of the documents/information listed below must be included; incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. Application Form (including average academic grade in percentage form);
2. Personal letter outlining such information as vision and medical background, goals, interests, barriers, community activities etc. (No resumes please!) See "Documentation Required" for more details.
3. Letter of Reference (from the last twelve months).
4. Declaration Statement (name and date must be provided as acknowledgement and confirmation).
Please complete the attached application form, make and confirm the declaration statement, sign and date your submission, and include the relevant required reference and personal letters.
Forward the attached Application Form, personal letter, and letter of reference in one of these file formats: plain or rich text, Microsoft Word, Word Perfect, or Excel, or in the body of an email, to email@example.com.
If not applying on-line, keep in mind that Scholarship Committee members may be blind, deaf-blind or partially sighted. If submission of an application in an accessible electronic format is not possible--inaccessible formats include PDF and jpg files--please contact AEBC either by email or by phone at (800) 561-4774 to discuss alternatives. AEBC would prefer to answer any questions regarding accessibility before you send your application.
Please email your completed scholarship application forms and documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org unless otherwise discussed with the Scholarship Committee.
Each year, the AEBC offers scholarships to recognize outstanding blind, deaf-blind, and partially sighted post-secondary school students. This year there will be two awards in total: 2 (two) $1,000.00 scholarships.Each scholarship will be accompanied by a year's free membership to AEBC. They are as follows:
1. The Alan H. Neville Memorial Scholarship in memory of an AEBC pioneer and valued advisor (National) for $1,000.00; and
2. The AEBC Rick Oakes Memorial Scholarship in memory of a well-loved contributor (National) for $1,000.00.
It is not necessary to submit separate applications, as applicants will be considered for all scholarships for which they qualify.