Improved wireless coverage at RRU
These days, many people travel with a laptop, a tablet and a smartphone (some carry even more!). That’s potentially more than three devices each person will want to connect to our wireless Internet (Wi-Fi) when they are on campus. Believe it or not, it’s quite common at RRU that a class of 50 people will connect 120 devices or more to our wireless Internet!
As you might know, we have always had Wi-Fi around campus, but with the ever increasing need for connectivity and in order to provide excellent service to our students, faculty and staff, we recently installed additional access points in the following areas:
- Grant – 228, Cafeteria & Quarterdeck
- LIC – 213, 222, 224, 311, 322, 326
- Nixon – 119, 103
We hope these additional access points ensure a pleasant wireless experience for you, wherever you may be on campus!
- We now have 172 Access points operating on campus, with multiple units in heavily populated areas.
- We follow an industry guideline of having approximately 20 devices connected to each Access Point (where we know there will be about 50 people in a room, we need to install 6 Access points).
- We regularly monitor our WiFi access points to keep aware of how many devices are connected to each one.
- This information is used to determine where we need to add additional Access points in order to continue to ensure acceptable performance.